Sunday, October 30, 2016

Flirt

Photo by Hannu Makarainen
A smell of aged smoke and diesel permeated the tight office, where flickering fluorescent lights lit a large, grey-skinned man peering over heavyset glasses. He barely glanced up before droning into the intercom. 

"Jake, the lady's here for the Toyota."

He reached over to hand me a chewed clipboard dangling a pen. "Here's the estimate Hon, he'll be out shortly." 

Minutes turned to ten, and two-year old magazines, wrinkled like old sheets, offered no diversion. Annoyed, all I could do was stare at the clipboard, the estimate too high. Were all mechanics crooks? What was this about brakes? I came in to change a headlight. 

The garage door swung open and suddenly, two icy blue eyes met mine, floating around a solid build, a stained flannel shirt, and a jaw sporting a two-day shadow. 

Jake, and whatever else he was, was a stone cold fox. 

"Sorry about the wait. You're the Prius?" Rippled forearms wiped hands on a rag. I tried not to adjust my hair, my shirt, my everything. Gravel caught in my throat. 

"Th-that's me." 

Thick lips parted to show a near perfect smile, an almost imperceptible gap between the first two teeth. I stared at it as he spoke. 

"You got some pair of brakes there," he said, sizing me up. 

My eyes found their way back to his but it was a mistake. Deep pools of aqua. Warm sand, naked swimming. Private beaches. Poetry. What was it about pretty eyes on a man that made him seem sensitive? I willed my eyes to sparkle back. 

"Yeah, saw that on the estimate. So what about my brakes?" I tried to concentrate. 

"Totally shot. You need new pads, they're done. I know you came in for your headlight, but we always do a full inspection." He added, "Free of charge."

"You inspected my car?" Thoughts of hamburger wrappers and a pair of underwear sticking out of a swim bag in the front seat flushed my cheeks. "Did you find anything else? Lately I've heard this funny noise from the vents."

"Probably the air filter, it also needs changing, plus all your fluids are due for a flush—but all that can wait. And I already changed the headlight, you're out fifteen bucks. But those brakes..."

He trailed off, his eyes fixed on mine. 

Jake was telling me I was in danger, that he alone could save me. He'd need to work on it, maybe I'd need to come back and see him again. I liked how this was developing.

"How much?"

"New pads are $90. $40 for installation. That'd get you by. Eventually you'll need to replace the axels, but new pads would be the minimum." 

"So...like $130?

"Plus tax. Small price to pay for your life though, brakes are a real safety issue. I'd hate to see you get hurt. "
At the mention of me, and concerned feelings in relation to me, my heart soared. How could I figure out how to ask this man to undress me as soon as possible?

Stalling, I cleared my throat.

"Well when you put it that way..." I tried for a flirtatious, "I wouldn't want to see me get hurt, either," but it felt labored. I looked at my shoe.

"So when can you get to it? Another day?" 

He checked the clock behind me. 

"Well, actually—yeah, I could do it right now if you want, your car's already up on the lift. Say, 20 minutes?"

Wait! I thought. Tell me more about brake pads, about axels, about your slick stick shift. Strip my engine, lube me up, make my motor purr.... But I didn't know how to tell sexy lumberjack-mechanic man that I wanted the full service.

"That soon?"

"It's no trouble," he smiled warmly. Professionally. Pulled out and snapped paperwork into a new chewed clipboard.

"Just need you to sign off on this work ticket. Right here on the X," he bent over to show me where. Close now, he smelled of engine oil and onions—all man. I leaned in too, hoping he could sense the faintest of perfume, praying for a spell. When I reached for the pen I brushed his hand, not by accident, and signed, desperate for anything to keep him longer.
Jake brightened, and pulled the clipboard away.
"Alrighty, then. Back in a 'jiff." He tipped an imaginary hat, while I threw him a smile I hoped he could see, feel—all heat and lasers.
He turned to leave, and I watched him go.
Rattled, deflated, I poured lukewarm coffee into a styrofoam cup and sat on flattened cushions, my mind far from anything in the wrinkled zine occupying my hands.

I had 20 minutes to fix my hair, apply chapstick, and plot my next move. Would we go on a date? Have an affair? No subtlety this time, I thought. Today, I ask for what I want.

Twenty-three and a half minutes later the garage door swung open and I twirled, my scarf re-arranged just so. And there stood the grey-skinned man, bored, holding out my car key.

"You're all set, Hon."

I blinked. Casually, I strained to look through the garage door, still swinging shut. Where was Jake?

"That's...all?"

"All done, Dear. Unless you want to pay for it again," he said dryly over his glasses.
Reluctant, I reached for the car key. Put it back on my keychain, jangling them loudly. I made a point to double check my purse. Did I leave anything behind? Nope. No choice but to make my way out the door.

Back in my repaired Toyota, the stale car shop's scent fading fast, so too was the fantasized memory of Jake's bare naked chest. I knew he'd be forgotten, faster than I wanted, so I tried searing aqua pools into my mind.

Time to go. Adjusting the rearview, and straightening my hair, I vowed to remember, just once, for goodness sake, to change my oil on time this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment