Monday, October 31, 2016

At the Matinee

Kenneth Lu

A man sits in a darkened movie theater, discreetly using his phone.

Another man, older, approaches from behind—several people have to stand up to make room. He positions himself right behind the Texter and sits down.

The older gentleman clears his throat loudly, several times. Finally, he taps the younger one on the shoulder.

"Excuse me."

"Yeah," barks the Texter.

"It's extremely rude to be on your phone right now. You're disrupting everyone in this movie theater."

The Texter doesn't look up from his phone. "The movie hasn't even started yet."

"Yes but it's the previews, and people like to watch the previews, they're like little movies. And the lights on your phone are very bright, not to mention if it should--."

"Dude, chill. I'll be done in a second." 

"--ring or make any noise at all it would basically ruin the picture for everyone here."
The Texter continues to text.

"Well if you don't stop, I'll have to get the manager, and we both know what he's going to say."

The man stops, turns to the woman next to him, and rolls his eyes. Then he turns back to his phone.

"Do... you want me to get the manager? Because I will." The older man stands up. 

"Down in front!" someone yells from the crowd. 

Quieter now, under his breath, the old man begins ranting. "--the nerve of these damn... always on their.... unbelievable...."

Texter stops texting, and turns around. "Are you serious right now?"

"I'm extremely serious!" the old man shouts hoarsely.

"Shhhhh!" hushed a woman from a few rows over. 

"Look, I'm wrapping it up a'ight," said Texter. 

"--talks anymore, there's no decency. Can't put their little machines down for one --" 

Suddenly, the theater lights dim even more. The crowd settles. The Texter turns the dimmer down on his phone but continues to text. 

Beside himself, the older man says out loud, "Well if that's the way you're going to play it, then fine. If you're going to continue to be rude to everyone here--" 

Someone in the crowd yells, "Shhhh!" 

"--then I'm simply going to have to get the manager. I won't have my picture disrupted--"

For the second time, several patrons stand up to make room for the older man as he shuffles down the aisle. He exits the theater.

"Asshole," the Texter whispers, flipping him the bird. He rolls his eyes again and slips his phone back in his pocket to resume watching the movie screen.

--

The older man makes his towards the Snack counter, where two kids are heads down in their phones.

"Excuse me, but I'd like to make a complaint."

"A what?" Dead-eyed, one of the kids, a girl, steps up to the counter, pulling on a clear plastic glove. "Small, medium or large?"

"No, no popcorn. Is your manager here? I'd like to speak to him."

"To him? I'm the manager on duty," glared the girl, blowing a large gum bubble.

"Oh." The older man looks uncomfortable, but starts to mumble. "Well, you see, there's been a young man on his telephone, since well before the previews started, and he's just not stopping. He's just sitting there--

The girl stared at him blankly.

"--no regard for anyone trying to watch the film. And I can't--"

"So wait...Uhhh. You're saying that....someone's on their phone?"

"Yes! And it's very distracting. I need assistance right away, I'll lead you right to where he is."

The girl glances at the wall clock. "The movie just started... Don't you think he's probably off by now? In the time since you came out here?"

"Well I can't count on that, can I? If he hasn't stopped, I mean. I'd just have to come back out. And I can't go through the whole movie with him on his phone, he'll ruin it for everyone. I'll miss the whole movie."

"Right. But... You're actually already missing it, right now."

"Exactly! That's why this whole matter needs to be resolved right away!" Urgent now, the man impatiently glances at his watch.

The girl seems bewildered. "I mean, I guess I could get my flashlight, ask him to stop? I don't know what good that'd do though," She distractedly looks under the cabinets, and in the supply closet behind them. "It should be around here somewhere..."

"Yes! Really call attention to it, that's good. These folks are on their phones all the time, with no consideration, I see it time and again! He should be asked to leave--"

Skirting the commotion, a woman pulls her children closer as they walk by.

"--all the time! Unfair to everyone!"

Suddenly, a tall, brisk man interrupts, he appears to be the ticket-taker.

"How do you do. Can I help you folks?"

"Yes!" the old man bellowed. "I can't get anyone to pay me any respect around here! This is really getting ludicrous!" Agitated, the man began gesturing with his arms.

"Sir, I need you to calm down a little, ok? You're causing a bit of a scene. There's a lot of folks who paid good money, who you know, just came to enjoy the show, ok?"

"But that's what I want to do! That's why I came to the show! You can't just be on your phone any old time--" Wild-eyed, the man's face was flushed, spittle visible on one lip.

"I understand you, sir. But you see, there's been a bit of a complaint...."

##

No comments:

Post a Comment